Rob Roy has more than 20 years of experience as an inventor, design engineer and solutionist in the technology industry. He has not only designed the largest and most advanced technology ecosystems in the world, but his stamp of innovation and attention to detail can be witnessed across many sectors including robotics, storage, software development, architecture and design. Rob Roy’s standard of excellence and leadership is visible throughout Switch and the technology industry.
THE WORLD’S BEST DATA CENTER DESIGN
More than a decade and a half ago, Rob Roy realized that the data center industry was going to experience unbelievable growth in all aspects of scope and consumption. It was at that time that he put forth his first patented design metrics for his Switch WDMD® (Wattage Density Modular Design) program. Since that time, Rob Roy has added numerous patent claims to his portfolio and has currently developed over 700 issued and pending patent claims. Most of today’s data center companies use concepts that were first patented and introduced by Rob Roy as part of Switch WDMD®. Not only is he the pioneer of many of the data center concepts and practices in use today by most practitioners in the industry, Rob Roy’s facilities have been using these practices for well over a decade, long before most of the other providers started to copy Switch’s designs and operational programs.
Data Center Designs that were Patented and Put to Use in Switch’s Data Centers:
- 100% hot aisle containment rows, using isolated pathways bringing heat up into a separated heat containment area.
- Multi-system exterior wall penetrating HVAC units, designed to modularly adjust with density needs as well as reach the highest levels of sustainability.
- Multi-color power systems to ensure elite performance levels of deployment, operability and security.
- Power spine electrical pathway delivery (building design) ensures flexibility and sustainability, enabling capital expenditure intelligence.
- Proprietary and patented Living Data Center (DCIM) Switch software that surpasses all current existing Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) offerings.
Smart by Design®
Multi-System Exterior Wall Penetrating HVAC Units
A multi-mode HVAC platform generating uninterruptible, high-efficiency cooling.
A dual 200-mph-rated roofing system to mitigate extreme weather conditions.
Switch BLACK IRON FOREST
A steel infrastructure matrix that radiates cold to maintain temperature.
100% Hot Aisle Containment Rows
A heat containment cabinet platform that separates hot and cold air.
Wattage Density, Modular Design
Three N+2 color-coded systems to deliver tri-redundant power and 100% uptime.
Switch LIVING DATA CENTER
An autonomous building management system that ensures data center efficiency.
Over 700 Issued and Pending Patent Claims
In Rob Roy’s mission to redesign and redefine every aspect of the data center, he has developed more than 700 patent and patent-pending claims. These designs are manifested in industry-renowned Switch data centers in the United States and SUPERNAP International facilities in Europe and Asia.